Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Where my people at?"

I was just about the only person in Dublin who had red hair & freckles. I was disappointed that my people weren't surrounding me. At one of the bars the man actually did a double take when I didn't have an Irish accent. Other than the fact that the ginger status was minimum, Dublin was absolutely amazing! We got there on friday and settled into our hostel "Barnacles" and then headed for appetizers and drinks at a touristy American type restaurant, mostly because we were craving nachos. Later that night we set off on a Pub Crawl. We hit five different pubs throughout the night, all of them being completely different. The first pub was celebrating Oktoberfest so the waitresses were all dressed up while we sipped our beers, Matt got an oyster flavored one...I almost vommed. The second pub was the best considering they served up a huuuge plate of chips & sausages. NOM. We devoured the chips in two seconds. I'm pretty sure Kim and I ate the whole plate while the boys were complaining they weren't getting any of it...woooops. The third bar was great! There was the cutest guy singing with his guitar, best part was he sang Kings of Leon. I was dying. The next bar was more swanky or as Katie would call it, "plosh." We had baby guinness shots that were delicious. At the fifth pub we attempted to learn gaellic, which was a fail since nobody could remember it the next morning.
The next day was filled with touristy activities. We signed up for a bus tour that took us all around the city and you could hop on and hop off whenever you wanted to go to one of the sights. We went to the Jameson Whiskey Factory first.





Kim and Matt were chosen to be the whiskey tasters and I was so jealous!



After Jameson we went to the Dublin Castle, which was probably my favorite sight. From the looks of the outside of the castle I never expected it to be so amazing inside. It was huge and lavish and it made me wish I lived back then so I could attend the balls in the grand ballroom.





After the tour of the castle it started down pouring and we had to run back to the hostel & when we got back we all were absolutely soaked. We had to blow dry our socks and boots. Later that night we went to a local pub that was super cute. In the summer time this would definitely be the place to be. Once the roof came off it would be covered with vines and flowers with stone walls...so pretty. Best part of the night though would definitely have to be the nutella gelato. DELISH.
Sunday morning came way too fast, but we had a bunch planned out so I rolled out of bed. We started the day off at St. Patricks Cathedral. Me at a church on sunday is a weird thought I know...so of course I found the most unchurch-like thing in the whole place...a pretty pretty princess tower.



I did actually take pictures of the cathedral too...



From there we headed to the Guinness Factory. This place was huge! With seven floors there was plenty to see. From how the beer is actually made, to all the advertising they've used over the years.



The coolest part was at the very top of the building there was the Gravity Bar. This bar had 360 degree panoramic views of Dublin. We got served our complimentary Guinness' and took in the sights.





After the Guinness Factory we went to an old jail that they spell gaol and I couldn't even pronounce the name. Besides that, it was the coolest thing...creepy, but cool. It was crazy to hear about the people who were in jail for years for such miniscule crimes such as stealing a loaf of bread. But in the same "gaol" there were murderers. So bizarre.



We even got to go inside the jail cells!



After eating dinner at an underground pub & watching the Patriots game on a huge projector screen, we wandered back to the hostel...to find a man lying in Kim's bed. I don't think I've laughed harder in my life. I may or may not have peed my pants a little. We could not contain ourselves, we had to go outside in the hallway to burst out laughing. This man must've been given the wrong bunk bed assignment because he was definitely in Kim's bed. We could not handle the situation it was too hilarious.
The next morning we checked out and ventured to Trinity College, only to find out that it costs 10 euros to go on a tour. The school is beautiful but not worth 10 euros, sorry. So instead we went shopping at all the touristy shops and bought presents for our families and friends. After that we went to Dublina, a museum all about the early vikings and settlers that came to Dublin. It was actually super interesting and really fun...probably because a ten year old would also enjoy it with all the things we could dress up in and play around in.



After the museum we went to Christ Church where we got to have tea in a crypt! I thought this was the coolest and most ironic thing ever. We were literally underground where important people of the church were buried just having some afternoon tea. Hilarious.



We ended our stay in Dublin in the perfect way...at a pub. We listened to Irish music while enjoying our bar food & pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment